Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Kitchen House ~ Book Review

If you are looking for a book to read, and are not looking for a fluffy, light read, this is one I recommend.   "The Kitchen House" by Kathleen Grissom.  Here is a copy of the review I gave it on Goodreads:


The Kitchen HouseThe Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I was definitely moved by this tragic book and have found a hard time getting it out of my head. It is about a white Irish girl, Lavinia in the 1700's who, through circumstances begins living with the "servants/slaves" on the plantation of an American family. Lavinia comes to love her new family, even though her white skin sets them apart. Eventually, she is taken in by the "white" family. And, as she grows up, Lavinia is torn by love, family and loyalties. Though there are many tragedies, unspeakable happenings, and unbelievable actions, love and the importance of family shine through. The book is told through the points of view of Lavinia and of Belle, the "kitchen house" slave who (unbeknownst to the white family) is the master's illegitimate daughter. Although, this book is not a light read, I would definitely recommend it. It is one I will be reading again.


Have any of you read it?  What did you think?
What books do you recommend?  I'm always looking to add more to my reading list!

(scroll down to the bottom of the page to see other books I've read and review on Goodreads)

 

No comments: