Wednesday, October 19, 2011

perfect in my own way

I am an imperfect Mother.

I make meals ~ breakfast, lunch and supper (not to mention the snacks in between).  Note, they are not gourmet meals.  And while they may not be everyone's favorite meals and the words, "ewwwww GROSS"  may be muttered on occasion (meaning at least once a week) they are nutritious, warm, and satisfying. But most importantly, no matter how busy our nights are, we eat them together, as a family.

Every night, I help our kids with their homework ~ math, spelling, reading, etc.  I've come to realize that perhaps I am not "smarter than a fifth grader (I'm doing pretty good with the 2nd grade stuff, so far ~ HA!)".  There have been times I have relied on my Mom, who is a Jr. high math teacher, as well as Google.  It isn't always easy, but we always figure it out together.  The way we come to the correct answers doesn't matter.  What matters is that we are working together.

Laundry.  I always have laundry to do, but most days :)  no one has to wear anything dirty..... or noticeably dirty.  And that is good enough for me.  After all, there is so much more to my day than laundry.

My home is not always spotless.  I promise on any given day, you will find dust, at least one unmade bed, toys strewn about and much to my dismay ~ at least one strand of dog hair somewhere on the floor.  As annoying as it is tripping over a truck, a doll, puzzle pieces or blocks, the fact that these things are on my floor in the first place, means I have children in my life.  Children who mean absolutely everything to me.  I can deal with a few toys scattered about when the exchange is laughter, giggles, creative thinking and time together.  Personally, I would much rather have a few toys on my floor, than miss out on those things.




I find myself fixing my children's hair daily.  Whether it be a few spikes or at times a small mohawk for my son, or one of the many hairstyles (pigtails, "minnie ears", ponytails, braids, curls, etc.) my girls prefer, I am there for them.  Even if my hair needs its own fixing and my eyebrows a good waxing.  As mothers, we tend to put our needs aside to take care of the ones we love.  Selfless love.  However, our needs are important.  When I don't take care of myself, whether it be a long overdo haircut or eyebrow wax, too many days off from exercise, or a much needed girls night out, I find myself losing my patience easier, frustrated and in a rut.  As hard as it is to get away, because we are so busy, or just plain tired, it is important to find my own time.
 (One of Sassy's favorite hairstyles right now, is to have me braid her hair while damp at night, 
then she takes it out in the morning and can enjoy her lovely wavy locks all day)

And bedtime.  This is not always the easiest task at my house.  You see, most nights of the week, we are running from here to there.  Currently, we only have two things going on.  Football and Church.  Those things together take up 4 nights a week.  Soon we will have basketball for both Sassy and Action, as well as church.  But here's the deal.  No matter how crazy our evenings can be or unfortunately, how much past bedtime it is (although we try REALLY hard to maintain this) we always sit as a family and say "bedtime prayers".  This is our time, as a family to pray together, thanking, praising and asking God for the important things and for guidance in our lives.  It is so important to us that we teach our children the power and love of God.


So you see, I am a mother.  Far from perfect, but trying hard and learning to accept that I am  "good enough".  My house doesn't need to be spotless, and the laundry not always finished.  The important things are taken care of, nutrition, school work and hair.  But what truly matters, is that I strive to love selflessly, teach my children faithfully, and pray regularly.

We are making memories, learning, laughing and praying together.  The fact that I am not perfect, makes it all the more worthwhile.



10 comments:

Sandra Kohlmann said...

We eat as a family every night, too. My daughters are just 17 months old, but I think it's important for family dinner time to always be the norm, so we don't have to "teach it" later on. To me, family meals are the best way to stay connected as a family (outside of church and prayer).

From your photos, it is clear that while your house may not be perfectly tidy, that you still take care of it and keep it clean. There is a big difference between filthy dirty and messy. I have come to accept messy, but even if it means losing sleep, I always try to keep my house clean (with the exception of dusting, because I HATE dusting).

All-in-all, I think this is a PERFECT post.

Ruthie Hart said...

I love this post and I love how real you are. Burnt dinners, messy houses, stacks of laundry....this means you are a great mama! Spending more times with your kiddos than with mundane things like chores

Mommy Girl said...

love it! it's all about priorities and sounds like you've got some great ones!

Anne Eurose said...

Great perspective :).

Unknown said...

That is life, is it not? Great post. Also, Ms. Sassy may like to try this hair style. The video is really helpful to see how it is done.
http://thegregbeefamily.blogspot.com/2011/10/how-to-make-wavy-curls-even-if-youre.html

Take care!!

Angel said...

It looks like your house is full of love! Great post, Wendy. I love your mommy heart.

hill said...

i love this! thank you for linking up! xoxo.

the treat girl said...

Awh, Miss! What a terrific post! I have truly been the slacker blogger lately....not even having time to hop around and keep up with all of my amazing bloggy friends :( The kiddos are getting sooooo big!!! Hugs to you!

Jennifer Juniper said...

Amen, sister! I, too, am imperfect as a mother! As long as it doesn't involve child neglect I can live with it :) Love the braided hair-do!

henning love said...

id say a home that isn't spotless is a creative home, a home where children can learn and play!