Anyway, the breakfast is held in a school gym. In planning the table decor, I knew I wanted something that would be big, so it would be noticeable in the gym, yet I didn't want it to obscure anyone's vision.
Here's what I made:
The idea came from "The Nester" over at the blog Nesting Place
You see, every year this fundraiser takes place and every year once the events are over, the theme for the following year is announced. Last year's theme was Hollywood and when they announced that this year's theme would be Greek, my mind was on full speed. I had remembered seeing some cool laurel leaf looking wreaths somewhere, I just had to remember where.
Once I found them again, I filed it into my "auction ideas" folder.
I was absolutely going to make them, but initially I hadn't planned on using them as centerpieces. I was planning on hanging them on the doors to the entrance. But as I thought more about it, I decided they would make fabulous centerpieces. Big, open, perfect for the theme.... just right :)
So I gathered my supplies, lots and lots of plastic spoons, and lots of green spray paint.
First I glued my spoons together. Each wreath I made took about 50-52 spoons. My placement of the spoons was based on trial and error. I didn't want the wreaths to look too "tight" But I didn't want them to be enormous either. Once I that figured out, I glued and glued and glued some more.
I used hot glue and basically put a dollop of glue on the lower back part of the "spoon", glued that to the "neck" of the next spoon, then flipped it over and put a dollop of glue where the two spoons met at the bottom/lower middle. I admit, I used lots of glue, I didn't want these coming apart as they were on the tables.
Once all of my wreaths were assembled (I made 13), I set out to spray paint them green to mimic an actual laurel. You could leave them white, or paint them whatever color you desire. I used lots of spray paint, and it took many coats to get each wreath thoroughly covered ~ there are lots of nooks and crannies on these babies!
I hammered a nail into the top and spray painted the bases gold.
Using ribbon that was donated, I tied the wreaths to the stands using the nail.
Voila ~ an easy wreath and simple wreath stand, perfect for our event.