Sunday, January 9, 2011

Something to Think About Sunday

Lately I've been reading some books that I normally wouldn't choose to read for leisure.  They are good books, but they are kind of heavy books, and I'm not talking about size.

Here's a little background.....

I am a co-leader for our parents group at church (which for some reason is mostly moms).  We've decided to read a book and have a book discussion for one of our meetings.  Which leads me to where I am today.... I have been reading books, trying to find one that is a good fit for our group. However, along the way, I have learned a few things or maybe I should say, I've been reminded of a few things.

Here are a couple of the things I've read lately that got me thinking:

Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.  ~ Colossians 3:17


and


Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.  ~ Ephesians 5:19-20


Ok, so I'm going to be honest here.  I'm not really a bible reader.  I mean I went to Catholic school from the time I was in preschool until I graduated from high school, so I know the bible.  But I don't sit and read it (although we do have this bible and Smiley could sit on my lap and have me read it to her for hours), nor have I completed a bible study as an adult.   But the books I've been reading have been insightful and have made me think about many areas of my life.  


Obviously by reading the bible passages above, one of those areas is thankfulness.


There are so many things I am thankful for.  Things that are big and things that are small.  And while I am thankful and appreciative for my live and all of the blessings in it, I know I fail to recognize many of them.  And besides thanking my husband, children and other family members for things, I need to remember to look around and truely thank God for so much more.


So, call this a New Years resolution if you wish, but I am calling it a goal, perhaps I should describe it more as a challenge to myself ~ to daily acknowledge something I am thankful for, whether it is "big" or "small" because really, isn't it all big?


Starting today, when I write a new post, I will place what I am thankful for at the end.  Hopefully this will keep me accountable.


And in the words of an old church hymn:


"Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done."



1.  The first day of a brand new year
2.  One more day of sleeping in before Christmas break is over
3.  Routine ~ although it is hard to get back into it, it is good
4.  A night of nothing
5. Bookstores ~ the sights, smells and sounds.... I could stay forever
6. A quiet 20 minute nap in the middle of the afternoon
7. My hubby ~ you are missed when you are gone
8. The sound of Smiley little voice talking to her dolls upon waking after a good nights sleep
9. Cinnamon rolls (especially the freezer ones ☺)




No comments: