Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Why are we so critical?

Why?

Take a few moments to watch this video before you continue reading...



For me, this really hit home.  I'll be honest, I stood in the mirror just this very morning, checking out my  tummy, that I wish was flatter, my nose smaller, my arms more defined, my hair fuller..... Why do I do this?

I do believe that women, myself absolutely included, are so very critical of ourselves.  We compare ourselves to the "beautiful women" we see on TV and in print. Our hair is not quite the color or texture we would like it to be.  Our skin color, too light or too dark.  Our noses, too big, wide, pointy, simply not shaped the way we would like, or see as beautiful.

I could go on and on about the rest of our bodies, from our feet to the nails on our hands to the tips of our ears and I'm certain I most of us could tell you about the trait(s) we wish were different or think are ugly.

But these things that bug us about ourselves ~ are just that.  Things we see.

When was the last time you looked in the mirror and didn't think one negative thing about your physical body?  When was the last time you looked in the mirror and thanked God for your individual beauty ~ the beauty that makes you ~ you?

As women, I think we feel the demands and desires of the world, to be the thinnest, to be the prettiest, to be the best.  What if we all just embraced ourselves fully and conquered each day confident.  Confident in our abilities and especially in our skin.

We need to remember, as this video shows, we are ALL unique, we are ALL beautiful, we just need to change our attitudes.  Next time you look in the mirror,  remember who you are and that there is no one else in the world who is you ~ so Rock It!


Oh, and as my 12 year old daughter reminded me just last night, 
 "You're never fully dressed without a smile!"


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

2 comments:

Unknown said...

In a word, Wow. So many lessons for all of us. Thanks for posting.

Jennifer Juniper said...

Wow, I actually started crying and that feeling just won't go away.

I have a lump in my throat and I feel ashamed to admit that I'm exactly like those women. What a reality check. Thank goodness I don't have a daughter to try to guide.

You think you have it all together then something like this really shows you where you need to make changes. I would love to borrow this for Feedback Friday next week.

Thank you for opening my eyes! (to you and to Dove!)