Monday, February 24, 2014

Ordinary Miracles (6)

Happy Monday!  I've been thinking back on the past week and reflecting on the beauty in my daily happenings.  Don't get me wrong, not every day is a good day, like when you get 7 inches of snow, the 6th school closing since the beginning of January comes around and the kids are pulling out all their tricks to bug each other :) Or say, filling bowls with cereal only to discover you have no milk. 

These are minor frustrations ~ I get it.   I have friends whose marriages are in shambles, friends with children that have injuries and others that are undergoing medical tests searching for the unknown.  And we have friends with job losses and money stresses.  Believe me,  I understand that every day has its challenges and some days are definitely better than others, but it is so important to find the beautiful in the mundane.  The ordinary miracles!  

Here is what I have found this past week:

Traveling (sort of):  I was able to spend another fun day with my favorite preschooler.  Smiley's class went on a field trip to a place called the "Raptor Center".  Basically it is a facility that takes in sick and injured raptors ~ you know, bald eagles, owls, falcons, hawks and vultures.  They really are amazing creatures.  God knew what he was doing when he created these animals.  Thankfully they control the rodent and small animal population (personally, I'm not a fan of mice and snakes) and give us beautiful things to watch for in the skies. 
Smiley's favorite part..... watching an owl devour an entire mouse in about 2 seconds.

Running:  I may not be fast or go very far, but I love to run.  For me, besides the obvious health benefits of exercise, running is a stress reliever, a time to pray and a time for release.  Ever since I injured my foot last August (read that story), I haven't been able to run.  Last week I ran 2.5 miles ~ twice.  I can't really even say I ran them.  It was definitely more of a jog, but it was the closest I've come to running in 5 1/2 months, and for that I am thankful!

Reading:  I finished reading two books last week.  Both of them dared me to look around at all I do or don't have, and thank God for everything.  The books also reminded me of a quote from Maya Angelou:
Having courage does not mean that we are unafraid. Having courage and showing courage means we face our fears. We are able to say, “I have fallen, but I will get up.


These books reminded me that when life gets hard, and crappy things happen (they always do!) you can find the strength inside yourself to persevere.  The strength to be optimistic.  The strength to be loving and considerate of others, and the strength to choose happiness.  The books were,  "Between Shades of Gray" by Ruta Sepetys (not to be confused with the 50 shades!) and "The Fault in our Stars" by John Green  (this one really got to me and I'll have more on it for you in the next few days).

Shoveling:  We were just lucky enough to have another 7+ inches of snow fall on us last Friday.  I believe it was a miracle that Hubby was actually home to move that snow out of the driveway and off the sidewalks (the last big snow of 6" a couple of weeks ago came while he was traveling for work).  





Witnessing:  I witnessed many beautiful things this past week, but this one really left a mark on my heart:  I was going around the house cleaning and picking up a bit.  When I walked into the living room, I saw Sassy propped up in the corner with her nose in a book.  Very typical behavior for her.  When I looked closer, I noticed she was reading The Bible.  I asked her if she was working on some homework for church.  Her reply, "No, I just felt like reading."  Wow....my 12 year old picked up The Bible because she "just felt like reading".

Anyway, I hope you'll look back at your week and think about the ordinary things, people, places or happenings that took place in your life.  The ordinary that is usually taken for granted.  Tell me what miracles occurred in your life!

No comments: