Monday, June 6, 2011

Rhubarb Strawberry Pie and the 8 stitches that went with it


Ah, rhubarb season is in full swing where I live.  And nothing beats a yummy piece of rhubarb strawberry pie.

I wouldn't want you all to feel left out, so here are the recipes I use:

Lets start with the pie crust.  (This recipe makes a double pie crust.)

2 ¼ cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup shortening
5-7 tablespoons ice cold water

1.  Mix flour and salt together in a large bowl.
2. Cut in shortening using a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs


3. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time (I usually end up using about 5 tablespoons) ~ mix after each addition.  Add water until mixture is evenly moist and clings together.


4.  Divide pastry in ½ and shape into ½" rounds.  Wrap in saran-wrap (or similar), refrigerate for 10-15 minutes.



Rhubarb Strawberry pie filling

1 ¼ cup sugar
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2" pieces
2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1 Tablespoon butter
Pastry for a double crust pie (see above)


1.  In a large bowl stir together sugar, cornstarch salt and ground nutmeg


2.  Add rhubarb pieces and sliced strawberries.


 gently toss to coat.



3. Let mixture stand for 15 minutes
4.  Meanwhile, roll out your prepared crust.
5.  Line a 9" pie plate with half of the crust (one of the rounds if you use the above recipe)
Pour the fruit mixture into your pie crust.  Dot with butter and place the other crust over top.


6.  Cut slits into the top crust to allow steam to escape and, if you want to  be fancy, you'll take any extra crust, roll it out and cut fun shapes out of it for the top (Sassy chose to use tulips).  I also brush beaten egg on the top crust and sprinkling it with a little sugar.



7.  Bake at 350° for 1 hour.



This pie is delicious, but having a little ice cream on the side is like icing on the cake!  However, as the title insinuated, this can be dangerous.

Ready for the story?

WARNING:
If you're eating you might want to stop!

I had place a piece of pie on each plate.  My hubby was in charge of giving each one a scoop of ice cream.  He was using a scoop similar to this one except there was a seam between the scoop part and the handle (not this actual scoop or brand)



The ice cream was hard (it was a gallon bucket) so he put it in the microwave for 30 seconds.  Took it out and began scooping.

The next thing I knew was this:

My husband began yelling, "Get something! Get something!"  I looked over and all I saw was dark stuff all over his arm.  I just stood there thinking, "Ha aren't you a funny guy.  Not so funny when you are cleaning up all that chocolate sauce.  Jokester anyway!"

Except it wasn't chocolate sauce, and it was all over his arm and splattering all over the kitchen floor.  It was blood.  And lots of it (not an exaggeration)

Here's what happened:

The metal handle of the ice cream scoop separated from the actual metal scooper part as he was scooping.  Ended up that when the handle separated and gave way, it went straight into his opposite arm causing a huge gash ~ a trip to the ER and 8 stitches kind of gash.


Moral of the story:

Dessert can be dangerous!

Check your ice cream scoops ~ who would have ever thought?

But, the pie is STILL delicious!










Tip Junkie handmade projects


5 comments:

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

Oh no! I never though an ice cream scoop could do that! Hopefully that yummy pie helped him feel better! ;) I have never had rhubarb with strawberries... but this is the second time I heard that today! Sounds good!

Chef in Training said...

Oh my goodness! this looks so good! I found your blog through a link party. I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

Ali said...

ouchie :( Time to switch to the scoops that are one solid piece I guess.

On a positive note, the pie looks great :)

the treat girl said...

Miss!!! This looks delish!! Can you believe I've never made a pie crust from scratch???! I'm getting a pastry blender today! I can't wait to try this.....thanks for sharing.

Jennifer Juniper said...

This story still gives me the willies! I was scooping ice cream today for a sundae party and I was a little scared!

This pie reminds me of my childhood! We used to peel the extra rhubarb and eat it dipped in sugar (maybe we invented Fun Dips?)