Hi Friends ~ Hope you are all staying warm on these winter days. School was cancelled today for the kids (decision made last Friday via the Governor for the state) due to the extreme cold temps (and I just received a call that it is cancelled for tomorrow too!). Seriously, this morning around 8:30 here's what our thermometer read (and that doesn't include the wind chill).
Anyway, on to New Year's Eve:
We have a group of friends and every year we rotate who hosts a New Years Eve Party.
Last year was our turn. See, here we are hosting:
This year the host of the party sent out this email:
Did you see in that email what I saw? PRIZES!!! I love a competition, any competition, even if it is for an ugly sweater and even more if prices are involved. Yes, I'm a little odd ~ at times!
Anyway, I went on a shopping spree in search of the perfect ugly sweater. Requirements included:
- and it needed be a chunky knit sweater
The kids and I found just the perfect one.
- I purchased a 10 count strand of battery operated LED star lights (that twinkle, flash and change colors) from Target on their after Christmas clearance (I cannot find them on their website).
- Cut small strategically placed holes in the sweater.
- Stuck the star lights through each hole so the cords were "inside" the sweater and couldn't be seen.
- Sewed the stars in place and stitched up the holes.
- I had thought about adding an interior pocket in the sweater for the battery pack, which is about 3 1/2" x 3". But decided not to as I was wearing jeans and could just stick it in the pocket of my jeans.
Here is the finished product (along with Hubby's lovely woman's sweater vest):
And...... All Lit Up:
And since I'm sure you are wondering, I did win the prize.
and it was a lovely flashing "Happy New Year" tiara
So light 'em up, up, up