Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Is it really over?

2 weeks ago my house was still decked out with greenery, ribbon and wreaths.


Today, my tree and those of my neighbors lay alongside the road.

Waiting to be picked up.


Disposed of or perhaps recycled.


The gifts have been given and received.  Put away in new homes.  After all, a place for everything...

So,

Christmas is behind us.

Is it?

Should it be?

I hope not.  After all, Christmas isn't just about receiving.  It's about giving.  Giving of our gifts.  Not just material things, but the gifts of us:  our time, our energy, our patience, our praise, our prayers, our love... for everyone.

You maybe saw our Christmas card this year:

(yep, I got the idea via Pinterest)

But many of you probably haven't seen the inside.

This is the quote I chose to use this year:


Christmas is forever, not for just one day,
for loving, sharing, giving, are not to put away
like bells and lights and tinsel, in some box upon a shelf.
The good you do for others is good you do yourself...

~Norman Wesley Brooks, "Let Every Day Be Christmas," 1976


This is how I want to live this year. 

But it's easy to get stuck in a rut.  Feeling weary, run down, busy and worn thin.  I don't want to be that person.  The one who finds themselves easily frustrated because the toys on the floor never go away.  (Actually I think two more come out for every one I put away.)  Or the dinner that gets scowls as I set it on the table.  I want to be the person who is able to choose Christmas everyday, not just once a year.

Joy. Generosity. Love. Prayers.  Happiness. Anticipation. Excitement.

This is my resolution.






5 comments:

Jennifer Juniper said...

It's a great reminder to live every day this way. It's funny, because I saw people being so much more kind last month, holding open doors, letting people merge in traffic, smiling. I wondered why they couldn't be that way every day!

Idol next week I think!!! Woot!

hill said...

beautiful post. Thank you for linking up!!! xo.

the treat girl said...

Yes, I will live by those qualities this year too...and cupcakes. I would like a few more cupcakes too :)

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

Yes, yes, yes! Christmas everyday! :)

The Best of Both Worlds said...

Love the family picture!!! My new header in the works is gonna be similar : )