Monday, January 9, 2012

We call 'em sticky buns

And not only because they'll stick to your buns if you eat too many ~ ha, but because they are little nuggets of pure cinnamony, sticky, carmelly goodness (pay no attention to my made up words ~ spell check DOES NOT like me right now!)
The recipe I have from my Mom, is labeled "Easy Rolls"  and they are that too.  Anyway, here you go:

Easy Rolls aka "Sticky Buns"


You will need:



Rolls:
2 loaves frozen bread dough
1/3 Cup ~ White sugar
1 tsp. Cinnamon

Topping:
1/2 Cup margarine, melted
1 box (the smaller one) cook and serve butterscotch pudding (Do NOT use instant!!)
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Vanilla


First, take your bread out the night before and let it thaw (I spray a baggie with non stick spray, put my frozen bread loaves in it and lay it out on the counter before I go to bed):


In the morning:

1.  Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

2.  In a bowl, mix together the 1/3 cup of white sugar and 1 tsp of cinnamon.

3.  Cut your bread dough into pieces ~ I'm not real precise when I do this, but they are typically at least inch or so in diameter


4.  Roll each piece in the cinnamon/sugar mixture


5.  Place each piece into a greased 9x13" pan


Do this for all of your bread dough ~ get them all squished in.


The recipe then calls for you to let them rise for 30 minutes.  Honestly, I have NEVER done this!  Typically I place my pan of sugary bread dough on top of the stove and hope some of the warmth will help the little nuggets rise a bit while I make the topping. :)

On to the topping:

Melt 1/2 cup of margarine in the microwave in a microwave safe bowl.


Add in the package of butterscotch pudding, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1 tsp of cinnamon and 1 tsp of vanilla.


Mix together


Pour over your sugary dough


Put them in the oven for about 30 minutes 
and 
wait VERY patiently for the timer to beep.


When they are done, the edges will be golden and a bit crusty.  Make sure to check the middle to make sure they aren't still doughy.


When you've determined they are finished cooking, immediately turn them out onto a platter or in this case a cookie sheet. :)


Just look at all that yummy, gooey, goodness!


Then, just pull off what you want.


Mmm Mmmm sticky, yummy, sugary, cinnamony deliciousness!


There are many renditions of this recipe, but these are the ones my mom use to make these when I was a little girl and now I get to make them for my little ones.  I dare you to start the tradition in your own home :)









5 comments:

Unknown said...

These look delicious! I think I will have to put these on my to make list, thanks for sharing!

Ruthie Hart said...

yummy!!! It reminds me of Monkey Bread!

the treat girl said...

OH MY WORD!! I could DO THIS!! My real life friend has had me scared to try REAL cinnamon buns from scratch....so I haven't graduated beyond the ones you get in the tube in the refrigerator section in the grocery store....but these I COULD DO! Thank you so much....I will gather my ingredients and make them Saturday....Yeah for me :)

Mama Bear said...

YUM! That looks delicious!

Melissa said...

YUM!!
I grew up eating 'pull-a-parts' at my grandparents house. It was store bought but so super delicious. I see them here and there but they are not at most stores. This looks similar. Love that you don't have to make the bread dough. I'm for sure trying this.